Jameis Winston Rape Scandal: Prosecutors Say Decision On Charging Florida State Star Within Two Weeks [VIDEO]
on Nov 16, 2013 08:28 PM EST
The woman now positively fingering Jameis Winston as her alleged attacker in a 2012 sexual assault originally didn't name the Florida State star quarterback as her alleged tormentor until a month after she reported the crime to campus police, according to ESPN.
William Meggs, state attorney for the Second Judicial Circuit in Tallahassee, Fla., said his office is now "making interesting progress" in the case and could decide whether or not to criminally charge the Heisman Trophy candidate in as soon as two weeks.
Like Us on Facebook
The timing of Meggs' decision is of added significance because if authorities charge Winston with a felony crime he would automatically be ineligible to continue competing for the No. 2 ranked Seminoles as outlined under Florida State athletic department policies.
"We're interviewing a lot of people," Meggs told ESPN. "It's become my responsibility, and I'm going to do everything I think I'm supposed to do to do the right thing."
Still others are wondering what took so long for matters to reach this point. Initially, ESPN reports the alleged victim described her attacker as being between 5-foot-9 and 5-11, while Winston is listed as 6-4 in the team's media guide.
In addition, after receiving the complaint, FSU officials referred it to Tallahassee police, who then waited nearly a year before turning it over to the state's attorney office.
Winston's attorney, Tim Jansen, tells ESPN he has already provided investigators with affidavits from at least two witnesses who support his clients versions of events. Jansen later added his client has not yet talked with investigators nor provided them with any written statements. Earlier in the week, FSU officials released a statement saying Winston's status with the team has not changed.
A redshirt freshmen, Winston has passed for 2,661 yards and 26 touchdowns this season in leading the unbeaten Seminoles.