New York Yankees Rumors: Hank Aaron 'Rooting' For A-Rod To Have A Good Season [VIDEO]
After missing the entire 2014 campaign due to his Biogenesis suspension, not everyone is looking forward to seeing Alex Rodriguez return to the New York Yankees this season -- Hank Aaron isn't one of those people.
Aaron told New York-based newspaper Newsday that he is pulling for A-Rod in 2015.
"I am rooting for him," Aaron told the paper on Monday. "Despite all of the things that people say he had been involved in, I'm rooting for him to come back and have a great year. I am very much anxious to see what he's going to do."
Rodriguez, who will turn 40 in July and is a three-time MVP, will make $61 million over the final three years of his contract, though the Yankees have said he will have to compete for playing time.
New York acquired Chase Headley to play third base late last season and then signed him to a four-year, $52 million year extension to man the hot corner in 2015, leaving A-Rod in competition for the designated hitter role.
Aaron, 81, acknowledged it could be an uphill battle for Rodriguez after missing the entire 2014 campaign for violating the MLB's drug agreement and labor contract.
"I wish him well, but I just don't know," Aaron said. "When you're [away] from playing the game the whole year and go out and then have to face kids that are throwing 90 mph, it's a tough thing."
Rodriguez, a 14-time All-Star and 2009 World Series champion, enters the 2015 campaign in fifth place on the all-time home run list with 654 long balls.
Aaron, who is second on the list with 755 homers, said he wouldn't mind attending games as A-Rod approaches him on the list.
"If I wanted to go to the game and A-Rod was playing, I certainly would go to the game," Aaron said. "I've met A-Rod, and to be honest, between him and me, he's been nothing but a friend to me. I liked him."