Conor McGregor Gets Community Service, Avoids Jail Time For UFC Bus Attack
on Jul 27, 2018 07:20 AM EDT
UFC fighter Conor McGregor entered a guilty plea to a single violation of disorderly conduct for his actions in a bus incident last April.
McGregor, who was facing 12 criminal charges related to the incident, accepted the plea as part of the agreement with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office. The deal involves no jail time and won't affect the travel visa of McGregor. In addition, McGregor will also not have a criminal record.
Prior to the plea deal, among the charges, McGregor was facing two felony criminal mischief charges and three counts of misdemeanor assault. Those said charges could equate into a maximum of seven years of jail time.
Community Service For McGregor
It can be brought to mind that McGregor was caught on video throwing a metal dolly at a bus with UFC athletes and employees. UFC fighters Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa were pulled from the event thereafter after suffering minor injuries.
"I just want to say I'm thankful to the DA and the judge for allowing me to move forward. I want to say to my friends, my family, my fans— thank you for your support," McGregor said.
The Brooklyn District Attorney's Office said that the resolution over McGregor's case was fair, citing that the UFC fighter can reflect on his conduct by doing community service. As part of the deal, McGregor also paid restitution to the bus company for damages.
McGregor will also need to serve five days of community service as well as attend anger management classes for one to three days. Orders of protection were awarded to MMA fighters such as Borg, Chiesa, and Jason Ledbetter.
Aside from McGregor, his SBG Ireland teammate Cian Cowley also pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct. Cowley was arrested in April for being involved in the attack.
McGregor To Return To Action?
With the charges now behind him, sources say that McGregor is likely to return to the Octagon later this year. The 30-year-old McGregor, who holds a professional record of 21-3 win-loss, is projected to go up against reigning champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.
Nurmagomedov, who sports a spotless 26-0 card, was on the bus that McGregor attacked. He was the target of McGregor's actions.
McGregor is hoping to bounce back after being stripped of his lightweight belt at UFC 223 due to inactivity. He hasn't fought in the UFC since November 2016. The Irishman, who made his professional boxing debut in August of last year, was coming off a 10th-round technical knockout loss to Floyd Mayweather.
Photo: Andrius Petrucenia | Flickr